26 December 2014

Will we fail?

The Bible has a lot to say about failure and people who started well but failed. We think of Adam, King Saul, King Solomon, and Judas.


We are saved by faith. Faith is believing God. All the above stopped believing. Adam either stopped believing or didn't care when he ate the forbidden fruit. King Saul repeatedly failed God's tests as to waiting, dealing with various enemies and so on. King Solomon started strong. At first he was seen in his love for God (1 King 3:3), but at the end it was his love of women (1 Kings 11:1). Judas was an Apostle of Jesus Christ but his love for the Lord Jesus was less than his love for money.


Will we fail?


We fail God when:


  • We refuse to call to God for help. We should always seek God's wisdom first then others. Isaiah 50:2 GNB "Why did my people fail to respond when I went to them to save them? Why did they not answer when I called? Am I too weak to save them? I can dry up the sea with a command and turn rivers into a desert, so that the fish in them die for lack of water.

  • We are tested and fail to do what God wants us to do. We may be tempted to lie to save ourselves, but it is wrong. The Lord Jesus does help us in these times. Luke 22:32 GNB But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith will not fail. And when you turn back to me, you must strengthen your brothers."

  • We grow weary of following God's ways as outlined in the New Testament and quit believing and acting as Christians. Hebrews 4:11 GNB Let us, then, do our best to receive that rest, so that no one of us will fail as they did because of their lack of faith.


God helps us. Consider:


  • He knows how to keep us from failing/falling. Jude 1:24-25 GNB To him who is able to keep you from falling and to bring you faultless and joyful before his glorious presence--- (25) to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, might, and authority, from all ages past, and now, and forever and ever! Amen.

  • To do more than we can ask or think. Ephesians 3:20 EMTV Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly more than all the things which we ask or think, according to the power which is working in us,

  • We can have confidence and faith in God's ability to keep us. 2 Timothy 4:18 EMTV And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom. To Him be glory forever and ever. Amen!


Our prayer and hope should be as Paul's. We can have strong assurance of God's ever present help.


  • Philippians 1:20 EMTV according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I will be ashamed, but with utmost boldness, as always, now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.

  • Hebrews 13:5-6 EMTV Let your way of life be without loving money, being satisfied with what you have. For He Himself has said, "By no means shall I desert you, nor in any way shall I forsake you;" 6) so that being confident, we may say: "The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment